What would be a trip to Paris without tasting macaroon?
During your stay, you should definitely have a hot chocolate and one big macaroon at Ladurée 16 Royale, 16, rue Royale – 75008 Paris. This tea salon created in 1862 is the first bakery opened by Louis Ernest Ladurée. You will enjoy the decoration in original wood paneling and painted ceiling.
You might also stop at Pierre Hermé, 72 rue Bonaparte 75006 Paris – my favorite. Be cautious, you could fall madly in love with the new collection “Les Jardins”.
Back from your afternoon, you already finished your macaroons and are missing the sweet savor of the preciousness.
Delicious homemade macaroon recipe:
- 75g egg whites
- 90g caster sugar
- 80g ground almonds
- 80g icing sugar
- 70g fresh raspberry
- 45g caster sugar
Lemon curd filling:
- 3 non-treated lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Maïzena
Variations : vanilla pastry cream, caramel, coffee cream, …
1. Whip egg whites with salt on medium speed until foamy. Add 45g of caster sugar. Continue to whip until stiff glossy peaks form.Incorporate left sugar and colouring (optional). Increase speed to high until getting a homogeneous, shiny and smooth base.
2. Add ground almonds and icing sugar and with a rubber spatula, gently fold in the confectioners’ sugar mixture.
3. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
4. Fit a pastry bag with a 3/8-inch #4 round tip, and fill with batter. Pipe 1-inch disks onto prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Let stand at room temperature until dry, and a soft skin forms on the tops of the macarons and the shiny surface turns dull, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Bake about 12 minutes. Let the macaroons cool. Tip : pour down half a glass of water under baking sheets before gently peel off the parchment.
6. To fill the macaroons : on half of them, pipe about 1 teaspoon filling. Sandwich these with the remaining macarons, flat-side down, pressing slightly to spread the filling to the edges. Refrigerate until firm.
Boil raspberry and sugar for 3 minutes. Remove from het.
Let preparation cool and thicken.
Lemon curd :