Madeleines is a French classic and is part of cultural legacy. The traditional small cakes from Commercy are super-easy to make and taste delicious. Its ingredients only include flour, butter, eggs and sugar to which it’s better to add orange or lemon peel, vanilla or orange blossom. There are many sweet or salty variations. I will soon post some of them.
Ingredients for 18-20 madeleines:
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yellow
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup half salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Tips: add orange or lemon peel, vanilla or orange blossom
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In bowl, beat eggs, sugar and half lemon peel (or other).
- Add baking powder and sift flour into mixture 1/3 at a time.
- Add melted butter and mix until smooth.
- Store in the fridge for two hours.
- Spoon batter into madeleines molds until half full – flexipans are the best because you don’t have to add butter.
- Bake 13 minutes.
- Serve with coffee or tea!